Parents are caregivers, chauffeurs, nurses, therapists, a laundry service, lifeguard and a maid all rolled in to one person who will love you forever. So let’s celebrate any occasion that reminds us to be thankful for those wonderful people that care so much for us. July 25th is National Parent’s Day, a day where we can show our parents what they mean to us and give thanks for everything they have given us.
It’s not always easy finding the best way to show Mom and Dad just how much you care so we made a list of the top 10 ideas to do on Parent’s Day:
- Lights, Camera, Action – Rent your parents favorite old movies from when they were growing up and enjoy it together. Don’t forget the popcorn and candy!
- Have a game night – Gather the whole family for some friendly competition on game night. You could play their favorite game and if you are feeling especially nice even let them win once or twice!
- Be the Chef – More often that not it is Mom or Dad who cook most meals. Wouldn’t it be a pleasant surprise if you did all the work? Bring them a gourmet breakfast of scrambled eggs, toast and bacon in bed or take them out to their favorite restaurant for a nice dinner.
- Enjoy a sweet treat – Take your parents to grab a nostalgic treat like going to a ice cream store or a popcorn and candy shop.
- Take to the trail – Go on a relaxing bike ride with your parents. It’s nice to get out of your normal routine and just enjoy nature together.
- Take me out to the ballgame – If your parent enjoys baseball, surprise them with tickets to the next ballgame. A little fun in the sun and quality time will be a memory none of you will forget.
- Family Portrait – All parents love pictures of their kids. Take pictures of you and all your siblings then frame it for a gift that is sure to be a parent’s favorite.
- Document the memories – Find old photographs from growing up and make a scrapbook. Having all the photos in a nice and neat place to display will be a gift that lasts a lifetime.
- Be Cinderella for a day – Surprise your parents by doing all the chores around the house. They will appreciate all of your effort, love having a clean house and it will allow them to really relax.
- Find their favorite – Let your parents choose what they want to do for a whole day. They will enjoy doing their favorite activities with some of their favorite people (yes, that’s you!).
Whatever your plan is for Parent’s Day the important thing to remember is to spend time with them. More often that not the memories that are most special to parents are the quality time they get to spend with you. Just find a way to make your parents feel special as well as loved and you have the magic combination of a winning day!
Father’s Day is just around the corner. Forget giving Dad yet another tie or “World’s Best Dad” coffee mug. Forgo the usual and treat dad to a special day of activities he will truly remember and cherish! Here are some fun, creative things to do to show dad just how much you care. Choose from our hand-picked ideas below, and tailor the day to your dad’s taste.
Tickets To A Ballgame
If your dad loves watching his favorite team, surprise him with tickets to a game. You don’t have to break the bank to get front row seats. He will love spending the day with you and getting to watch his team. Check out Craigslist or Ticket Master for great deals on tickets.
A Day On The Course
If your dad is the ultimate golfer, schedule a round of golf for the both of you. If you don’t play golf you can be his caddy for the day. It will mean so much to him to spend the day doing what he enjoys with the people he loves!
If your dad loves to grill out, create a fun day in the sun grilling the perfect steaks. You can get him a festive apron and chef hat to make his top chef status official. To make the day extra special, cook his favorite dessert secretly and present it to him after the gourmet meal.
Everyone has a list of their favorite movies. Grab all of dad’s blockbuster favorites and enjoy a movie marathon with the whole family. Find out what his favorite candy is and grab some for everyone. Don’t forget a movie night wouldn’t be complete without gourmet popcorn! We suggest one of our popcorn gifts. Popcorn tins are a simple, delicious idea and there will be enough for everyone (if dad shares). Choose up to three flavors of popcorn flavors to include in the tin.
The key to a memorable Father’s Day is not the money you dish out but spending time quality time with him. Think about what he likes to do and find a way to do that with him. At the end of the day that is what will mean the most to him.